Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from the files of Riserva di Fizzano and the Rocca delle Macie Winery – Olive Garden’s Italian Partners.
- 1⁄4 cup lean smoked bacon, cut into 1 inch x 1/4 inch x 1/4 inch strips
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb spiral shaped pasta
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons romano cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, shredded
- Heat bacon in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Cook until bacon renders its fat and begins to brown. Stir in crushed red pepper and cook 1 minute. Add tomato sauce and bring to a boil.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of cooking liquid. Return pasta to pot.
- Add bacon/tomato sauce mixture and reserved pasta cooking liquid to pot. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Stir in grated cheeses and basil.
- Toss to mix and serve immediately.
Loved this recipe. Had to substitute swiss for romano as that is all I had on hand, but this was still a very yummy recipe.