4 hrs 30 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This recipe is from the files of Riserva di Fizzano and the Rocca delle Macie Winery – Olive Garden’s Italian Partners.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs veal shanks
- sea salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 2 Italian plum tomatoes, quartered
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 ounce porcini mushroom, dried
- 1 cup red wine
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lemon rind
- 1Pre-heat oven to 325°F.
- 2Season veal shanks with salt and herbs. Let rest for 2 hours. Soak dried mushrooms in water. Follow package directions and drain when recommended.
- 3Heat 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium flame. Brown veal shanks on all sides. Add diced vegetables, tomatoes, drained mushrooms and 2 garlic cloves. Allow to cook for 6 minutes. Add wine, beef broth, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and cover.
- 4Transfer to preheated oven. Allow to cook for at least 4 hours. When veal is very tender, remove from pan and set aside.
- 5Drain sauce from pan into a strainer. Remove bay leaf and rosemary sprig.
- 6Mash juice and vegetables through the strainer to achieve a smooth consistency.
- 7GREMOLATA - Boil 2 cups of water in a small sauce pan. Add lemon peel. Allow to boil for 1 minute. Remove and allow to slightly cool. Chop blanched lemon peel, parsley and remaining garlic cloves.
- 8Place Ossobuco on a serving platter. Pour the drained, smooth sauce over top and sprinkle with Gremolata. Serve immediately along with polenta or mashed potatoes.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Olive Garden Ossobuco With Gremolata
Serving Size: 1 (1014 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 684.3
- Calories from Fat 215
- Total Fat 23.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 341.3 mg
- Sodium 1285.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 91.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: