Recipe by Tish
Posted in response to a request. This is a wonderfully hearty soup that is pretty close to Olive Garden's. We used to go there several times a month when I lived close and get the soup and bread sticks. Mmmmmm
- 236.59 ml finely minced celery
- 236.59 ml finely minced onion
- 236.59 ml finely minced carrot
- 59.14 ml butter
- 118.29 ml garbanzo beans
- 118.29 ml kidney bean
- 118.29 ml dried whole peas
- 118.29 ml white pea beans
- 177.44 ml sliced carrot
- 177.44 ml coarsely chopped onion
- 177.44 ml sliced celery
- 177.44 ml chopped bell pepper
- 118.29 ml rice or 118.29 ml barley
- 236.59 ml shell macaroni
- 29.58 ml minced parsley
- 4.92 ml oregano
- 4.92 ml basil
- 9.85 ml soy sauce
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Slowly saute finely minced onion, celery and carrot in butter until very brown.
- Add peas and beans and about 3 quarts of water.
- Cook slowly until beans are almost done (check garbanzos- they will take the longest) about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Add the remaining vegetables, rice and spices and more water if necessary and cook another hour.
- About 20 minutes before serving time add the macaroni and more water if needed.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with crusty garlic bread.