Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Posted in response to a request. This is a wonderfully hearty soup that is pretty close to Olive Garden's. We used to go there several times a month when I lived close and get the soup and bread sticks. Mmmmmm
- 236.59 ml finely minced celery
- 236.59 ml finely minced onion
- 236.59 ml finely minced carrot
- 59.14 ml butter
- 118.29 ml garbanzo beans
- 118.29 ml kidney bean
- 118.29 ml dried whole peas
- 118.29 ml white pea beans
- 177.44 ml sliced carrot
- 177.44 ml coarsely chopped onion
- 177.44 ml sliced celery
- 177.44 ml chopped bell pepper
- 118.29 ml rice or 118.29 ml barley
- 236.59 ml shell macaroni
- 29.58 ml minced parsley
- 4.92 ml oregano
- 4.92 ml basil
- 9.85 ml soy sauce
- parmesan cheese
- Slowly saute finely minced onion, celery and carrot in butter until very brown.
- Add peas and beans and about 3 quarts of water.
- Cook slowly until beans are almost done (check garbanzos- they will take the longest) about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Add the remaining vegetables, rice and spices and more water if necessary and cook another hour.
- About 20 minutes before serving time add the macaroni and more water if needed.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with crusty garlic bread.
Wonderful Soup, great on a cold and windy day! Absolutely loved it, will definately make again. Thanks Tish!
If you think this recipe isn't close to OG's then look up "Copycat Olive Garden Minestrone Soup by Todd Wilbur" on this website. I think it is much closer to the original but Chef #1111125 would be a better judge . . .
I made some changes to this recipe such as adding 2 Italian recipe cans diced tomatoes. I was surprised to see that there was no tomatoes and it made this recipe amazing! I also used vegetable broth instead of plain water. I omitted the rice and used canned beans (Chickpeas, light and dark kidney beans, and canned green beans.) I also added 1/2 tsp. thyme and was hesitant to use the soy sauce, but I added it and this has to have been the best minestrone I have ever tasted!