Recipe by Tish
Posted in response to a request. This is a wonderfully hearty soup that is pretty close to Olive Garden's. We used to go there several times a month when I lived close and get the soup and bread sticks. Mmmmmm
- 1 cup finely minced celery
- 1 cup finely minced onion
- 1 cup finely minced carrot
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup garbanzo beans
- 1⁄2 cup kidney bean
- 1⁄2 cup dried whole peas
- 1⁄2 cup white pea beans
- 3⁄4 cup sliced carrot
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup sliced celery
- 3⁄4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup rice or 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1 cup shell macaroni
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Slowly saute finely minced onion, celery and carrot in butter until very brown.
- Add peas and beans and about 3 quarts of water.
- Cook slowly until beans are almost done (check garbanzos- they will take the longest) about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Add the remaining vegetables, rice and spices and more water if necessary and cook another hour.
- About 20 minutes before serving time add the macaroni and more water if needed.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with crusty garlic bread.