Top Review by AKreb92
FAVORITE RECIPE! I have been using this recipe for several years now, and finally decided that I should create an account on food.com JUST so that I could provide a review. If I was allowed only one soup for the rest of my life, it would be this one. I've made it strictly following the recipe and loved it; I've also often made it without the bacon (simply because I forgot to get bacon) and it is STILL fabulous. Over the years, I've often tweaked based on what's in my kitchen and what ingredients I'm missing and with the base this recipe provides, I've never gone wrong. Thank you for posting this recipe - you've contributed to years of happy eating in my house! I especially appreciate the lower fat version - taste is not compromised in the least and I may even prefer this one to the original Olive Garden version.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweet turkey sausage
- 8 slices turkey bacon
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 large russet potato, quartered and sliced
- 2 tablespoons chicken base
- 1 quart water
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté sausage, bacon and red pepper flakes in olive oil until browned, scoop out and set aside.
- Add onion to pan and sauté until softened.
- Add garlic and cook one minute.
- Add water, chicken base, and potato.
- Bring to boil, then simmer 15 minutes.
- Add kale, cook another 5 minutes.
- Stir in sausage, bacon and milk.
- Simmer 5 minutes. Serve.