Recipe by Navy Wife Chef
A lighter version of the original recipe that cuts out a lot of the fat. Taken from the Top Secret Recipes website.
- 1 cup low-fat milk (1% fat)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 3 (3 ounce) envelopes Dream Whip, mix
- 4 ounces cream cheese, fat free
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 24 ladyfingers
- 1⁄2 cup cold espresso (or strong coffee)
- 1⁄4 cup kalua coffee liqueur
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Measure 1 cup of milk, remove 1/4 cup, and set the rest aside. In a medium bowl, combine the 1/4 cup of milk with the gelatin. Let the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes, then microwave on half power for 1 1/2 minutes, or until the gelatin dissolves. Set this mixture aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- In another medium bowl, beat together the softened cream cheese, and the sugar. Add the gelatin/ milk mixture and beat until smooth.
- Pour the remaining milk into a large mixing bowl. Add one envelope of Dream Whip at a time to the milk and beat after each addition for about 2 minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- While beating the Dream Whip on high speed, add 1/3 of the cream cheese mixture at a time. Mix about 1 minute or until it is well blended and smooth. Set aside while preparing the lady fingers.
- Combine the espresso and Kahlua in a large, shallow bowl. One by one, quickly dip each ladyfinger in the espresso.
- To assemble the tiramisu, arrange half of the soaked ladyfingers side by side in a 8x8 baking dish. Cover the fingers with half of the cream cheese mixture nd spread carefully with a rubber spatula until smooth and flat. Arrange the remaining ladyfingers on the cheese mixture the same way as the first layer. Cover the cake with the remaining cream cheese mixture.
- Dust the top of the tiramisu with cocoa powder. Cover and chill for approximately 3 hours.