Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A copycat recipe of the lemon cream cake served at the Olive Garden. Haven't tried it yet, but you can be sure I will soon.
- 1 3⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups prepared lemon flavor instant pudding and pie filling
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and 1/2 c sugar.
- Add oil, egg yolks, water and lemon rind and beat with electric mixer until smooth.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until peaks form.
- Gradually add 3/4 c sugar and beat until peaks are very stiff and shiny.
- Fold in 1/3 of egg whites to batter, then quickly fold in remaining whites until no streaks remain.
- Pour batter into ungreased 10" tube pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes or until tests done.
- Invert cake and cool completely in pan.
- Remove cake from pan.
- For filling: Beat whipping cream to stiff peaks and fold in lemon filling.
- Chill until stiff.
- Slice cake horizontally into 3 equal layers.
- Fill layers with 1/3 cup of filling.
- Spread rest of filling on top layer.
- Decorate with lemon slices.