Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A copycat recipe of the lemon cream cake served at the Olive Garden. Haven't tried it yet, but you can be sure I will soon.
- 1 3⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups prepared lemon flavor instant pudding and pie filling
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and 1/2 c sugar.
- Add oil, egg yolks, water and lemon rind and beat with electric mixer until smooth.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until peaks form.
- Gradually add 3/4 c sugar and beat until peaks are very stiff and shiny.
- Fold in 1/3 of egg whites to batter, then quickly fold in remaining whites until no streaks remain.
- Pour batter into ungreased 10" tube pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes or until tests done.
- Invert cake and cool completely in pan.
- Remove cake from pan.
- For filling: Beat whipping cream to stiff peaks and fold in lemon filling.
- Chill until stiff.
- Slice cake horizontally into 3 equal layers.
- Fill layers with 1/3 cup of filling.
- Spread rest of filling on top layer.
- Decorate with lemon slices.
What have I got to say?? I agree with everything the above poster said. I wish her post would have been here before I tried making it...it was nothing AT ALL like the real stuff at Olive Garden! I am with ya Rikki..I have tried to find the original recipe everywhere!
This recipe tasted nothing at all like the one from the Olive Garden. My husband and I both LOVE the original and we both agree this not only tasted nothing like it, but was just no good. It tasted like cheap lemon pudding on white cake. I wasn't impressed and was very dissapointed -- I've tried finding the original recipe everywhere!
I agree with Amberlee73 and Rikki James. This is not even close to the Olive Garden cake. Olive Garden serves and describes this cake as two layers of delicate white cake with a creamy lemon filling topped with vanilla crumbs.