Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I am always looking for great soup recipes to prepare in the winter months. This one is from the Olive Garden site, and I want to preserve it to make later.
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, ground
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes in puree
- 1⁄2 lb frozen chopped spinach
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- pecorino romano cheese, for garnish
- Cook ground sausage meat in a soup pot and break the meat up with a fork as it cooks.
- Add in rice, beef broth, tomatoes and black pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Cook 12-15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in the chopped spinach and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Ladle soup into soup bowls and garnish with freshly grated Peccorino Romano cheese.
We ate this the first day as listed,except for broth,I used beef consomme for a richer flavor..,it was good,but,the next day I added 3/4 cup diced roasted red peppers and 12oz can V-8 juice ,Much better.... everyone asked for this recipe after I modified it to our tastes..Thank you for the recipe though..
What a quick and easy soup - perfect for a weekday dinner. I was surprised at the lack of seasonings but the spices in the sausage seasoned the soup well. Our pot turned out a bit salty because possibly due to the brands of sausage, cheese, canned broth and tomatoes. We'll make this again but use low-salt broth and tomatoes. Thanks Lainey6605 (and Wendy Jarvis - this was a duplicate recipe ;)
I made this for my mother and I and we both thought it was very good. Very flavorful! Thanks for sharing.