3 hrs 5 mins
This taste like your mom's roast taken to the next level. It makes a beefy, yummy gravy with tender meat. I have not tried it in the crock pot, but I don't know why that wouldn't work. Olive Garden serves it with a mushroom risotto and green beans cooked to crisp tender. If I can find my mushroom ritsotto recipe, I'll post that too. I'm glad I have Zar now. No more searching for recipes!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 lbs beef roast, slice into thick chunks, fat removed if desired
- 1 -2 onion, diced
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cups red wine
- 3 cups beef broth (I use beef base with water or 4 beef boullion to 3 cups water)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary (optional)
- 1Pat roast dry, season with salt and pepper to taste, and brown roast pieces on all sides over medium high heat for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until brown. Remove.( Be careful not to use too much salt at this point. When you reduce your sauce it will be too salty if you do. It does depend on taste.).
- 2Saute onions for 3 minutes.
- 3Add garlic and cook 2 minutes. Do not brown.
- 4Add remaining ingredients one at a time, reducing for a couple of minutes after each addition.
- 5Return roast to pan including juices, and simmer for 3 hours or until very tender on low heat.
- 6Remove roast and reduce sauce to about half, about 10 minutes. (I puree sauce at this point with an immersion blender, but you don't have to do this.).
- 7Return roast and serve.
Browse Our Top Very Low Carbs Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Very Low Carbs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Olive Garden Chianti Braised Short Ribs for Roast
Serving Size: 1 (468 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 494.4
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 174.6 mg
- Sodium 824.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 61.2 g