Recipe by Heartsong
This taste like your mom's roast taken to the next level. It makes a beefy, yummy gravy with tender meat. I have not tried it in the crock pot, but I don't know why that wouldn't work. Olive Garden serves it with a mushroom risotto and green beans cooked to crisp tender. If I can find my mushroom ritsotto recipe, I'll post that too. I'm glad I have Zar now. No more searching for recipes!
- 3 1⁄2 lbs beef roast, slice into thick chunks, fat removed if desired
- 1 -2 onion, diced
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cups red wine
- 3 cups beef broth (I use beef base with water or 4 beef boullion to 3 cups water)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pat roast dry, season with salt and pepper to taste, and brown roast pieces on all sides over medium high heat for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until brown. Remove.( Be careful not to use too much salt at this point. When you reduce your sauce it will be too salty if you do. It does depend on taste.).
- Saute onions for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 2 minutes. Do not brown.
- Add remaining ingredients one at a time, reducing for a couple of minutes after each addition.
- Return roast to pan including juices, and simmer for 3 hours or until very tender on low heat.
- Remove roast and reduce sauce to about half, about 10 minutes. (I puree sauce at this point with an immersion blender, but you don't have to do this.).
- Return roast and serve.