Olive Garden's new flatbread appetizer was inspired by the chef's recent trip to the Italian region of Emilia-Romagna. The Caprese Flatbread features mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and basil on a flatbread crust with a savory garlic aioli. A cooking demo from the experts at Olive Garden is available at www.olivegardennewfavorites.com. This recipe is the "at-home" version - you can also enjoy the new flatbread at your local Olive Garden restaurant.
- 8 roma tomatoes or 8 plum tomatoes, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 10 medium fresh basil leaves, stemmed and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 11 ounces of refrigerated thin crust pizza dough
- 1 garlic clove
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºf.
- Dice tomatoes into small pieces and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add chopped garlic, salt, pepper, ½ of chopped basil, and 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. Set aside and allow to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Flatten pizza dough into pan as indicated on package. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and brush it over the surface. Bake in oven at 350ºf for 10 minutes on center rack. Remove from oven and allow to cool, about 2 minutes.
- Cut garlic clove in half and rub, cut side down, onto the surface of the bread. Allow bread to cool completely, about 10 more minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 450ºf.
- Combine mayonnaise and garlic powder in a mixing bowl. Evenly spread onto the surface of the bread. Top with shredded mozzarella to evenly cover surface.
- Drain the Caprese mixture and spread the bread mixture evenly over the bread. Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese. Return flatbread to oven for 5-7 more minutes or until golden, crisp and bubbly.
- Garnish with remaining chopped basil. Serve immediately and enjoy!