Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These mini cornbreads are wonderful served with soup. They are very quick and simple to make. If you are not a fan of olives, just leave them out or use an alternate topping of your choice.. If you are not on a gluten free diet, then you can use regular self-raising flour and omit the xanthan gum. Shown in my posted photo with "Pumpkin and Leek Soup - No Dairy" and made with a gluten free blended flour. My family tell me that the regular flour version taste even better than the gluten free one that I can eat.
- 1 cup coarse polenta (cornmeal)
- 1 cup gluten-free self-raising flour (or regular SR flour)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if not using gluten-free flour)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 100 g butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 1⁄2 cup drained stuffed green olive, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Combine the polenta, flour, xanthan and salt in a large bowl.
- Add milk, melted butter and egg. Stir until combined.
- Stir in cheddar cheese.
- Spoon mixture among 8 250ml (1 cup) capacity mini-loaf pans and smooth over the surface. Top with sliced olives. You can use muffin pans or friand pans if you do not have the correct tins.
- Bake in preheated oven 25-30 minutes.
- Turn onto a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm.
- Best eaten the day they are cooked but can be warmed in the microwave if eating the next day.
- You can use any topping of choice. Chargrilled capsicums (peppers) are also a good topping.
These were excellent!! I had to use my mini bundt cake pans because I couldnt find my other pans but it still worked out great, made 6 of them. I guess because of this I should of put the olives in the bottoms though. The flavor of these were really good with a nice mixture of cheese and olives. Had them for lunch with a nice bowl of soup. I made them the night before and just warmed them up a bit in the microwave. You are right they taste so much better warmed up. Thanks so much for sharing "Jubes" I will definitely be keeping this recipe and using again.