Recipe by Debber
Very pretty presentation! Loaded with salty green olives in a savory cheesy bread, this really hits the spot along-side a thick soup on a cold winter's evening. Try it with Potato & Ham Soup OR Clam Chowder. Enjoy the colors when you cut the slices!
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
this was a great tasting bread but I would have prefered it to be a little lighter in texture, I increased the cheese by 1/2 cup and used buttermilk, thanks for sharing Debber
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, room temp
- 3⁄4 cup milk (or buttermilk or water)
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion (optional)
- 35 stuffed green olives
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a loaf pan; set aside. Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients and the cheese; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat egg; stir in milk and oil, mixing well.
- Add onion to the egg-milk, mix; then stir into flour mixture--do not over-mix, just get things moist.
- Spoon half of batter into prepared pan. Arrange 28 olives on their sides, 4 rows of 7 olives each.
- Spoon remaining batter over the olives, smoothing the top with the back of the spoon.
- Place remaining 7 olives evenly spaced down the center of the top of the loaf.
- Brush with olive oil (or spray).
- Bake 35-45 minutes until wooden pick comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes---this is really important or the loaf will sort of fall apart when you cut it :-(.
- VARIATIONS: Use a different type of cheese for a whole different flavor. How about a different kind of olive? Mmmmm -- .