Recipe by SMDeasy
This is a recipe I got from my best friend Dawn years ago. Everyone loves this-even people who say they don't like olives & even people who say they don't like casseroles. Scrumptious!
Top Review by Erindipity
Really good basic casserole recipe. Obviously it tasted good, but it also got extra points for using ingredients I typically have at the house and for being so versitile. I can easily see switching out the cheddar for mozzarrella or feta to get an Italian or Greek flavored dish, you could add some spices to match the cheese as well as switch out the corn for kidney beans or zucchinni. I did make a few slight changes to accomadate what I had in the house. I sauteed the green pepper, garlic and onion with the meat so I didn't need the olive oil. I then used about 1.5 cups of frozen corn instead of canned. I used one 14 oz can of petite diced tomatoes and one can of tomato sauce. I also left the salt out because I often find green olives to be salty. I finished up the rest pretty much as directed. I baked half the mixture in an 8x8 pan and the rest went into the freezer for a future dinner.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 lb sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion
- 1⁄2 cup stuffed olives, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup olive juice (green)
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions, set aside.
- Brown ground beef and green pepper in olive oil.
- Grate together cheese, onion and garlic.
- Combine with meat and olives.
- Add olive liquid, cooked noodles, corn and tomatoes.
- Mix and pour into 13x9x2 casserole dish.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes.