Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
This is a slightly crisp-textured focaccia, it makes a wonderful alternative to your everyday pizza, this dough may also be made by hand.
- 1 cup warm water (100-110 degrees F)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons dry yeast (1 .25-ounce package dry yeast will work fine instead of 3 teaspoons)
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh rosemary (minced or finely chopped)
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour (use all purpose or bread flour or a mix of both)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup pitted black olives, coarsely chopped
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large firm plum tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (can use more)
- For the focaccia; in a small bowl stir the warm water together with the yeast and 2 teaspoons sugar; let stand until foamy (about 8-10 minutes, if your water/yeast mixture does not foam then discard and make again).
- Place the kneader hook onto stand mixer.
- In the stainless steel mixing bowl place the flour, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 cup chopped rosemary and salt.
- Add in the proofed yeast mixture and knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes)adjusting the dough with a small amount of water or flour if needed).
- Gently knead in the chopped black olives the last few minutes of kneading.
- Place the dough onto a very lightly floured surface; cover with a clean tea towel and allow the dough to rest for 5 minutes.
- gather up dough and shape into a ball.
- Place into a large greased glass bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place for about 35 minutes or until almost doubled.
- Set oven to 400°F.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- Punch down the dough and place in the middle of the baking sheet; cover and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Using hands spread the dough onto the baking sheet.
- Brush the top with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil.
- In a bowl toss the chopped tomatoes with fresh garlic, 2-3 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary, kosher salt and black pepper.
- Spread the mixture onto the crust.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake bottom oven rack for about 20 minutes or until golden.
- Slice then serve immediately.
This was a fantastic! I love everything about it and it wasn't time consuming at all. I used very small olives so I had to put in a little more, but it was so good!
fabulous fabulous fabulous. I am now officially a pig, i ate half the loaf right out of the oven. I didnt have olives so used a few tbs of olive tapenade which has chopped olives in it and it worked fine.