1 hr 4 mins
This recipe is a Dutch tradition at New Years. There are concession stands selling oliebollen year round at markets or other gatherings. Literally the name mean oil balls. The taste is similar to a beignet or yeast doughnut. The prep time includes time for the dough to rise.
My Private Note
large b ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve the yeast cakes (or dry yeast) in lukewarm water, mix all the ingredients into a soft dough.
- 2Let sit in a warm place until it rises to about double in size.
- 3Use two greased tablespoons to form the ball shape. Drop carefully into deep hot (360º F) fat.
- 4Fry until brown (turning if necessary- usually they turn by themselves). This should take 5 - 8 minutes.
- 5Drain on paper towels for a moment.
- 6Sprinkle heavily with powdered sugar and serve hot.
- 7This batch serves a large crowd.
- 8You can easily cut the recipe in half.
Browse Our Top Low Sat. Fat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oliebollen (Similar to Beignets)
Serving Size: 1 (152 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 312.6
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 35.2 mg
- Sodium 208.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 7.7 g