Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 24 ounces large pitted prunes
- 1 lb grated coconut (I measured: one coconut yields about 1 lb of grated coconut)
- 1⁄2 lb sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 box clove (whole)
- Choose only the moist prunes and form them into boat shapes.
- Prepare the filling: melt the sugar in the water in a saucepan on low heat, then add the coconut and the egg yolks.
- Mix well and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring from time to time with a wooden spoon.
- Stuff the prunes with the coconut sweet while it's still warm and stick a clove in the center of each"docinho" to form the pupil of the eye.
- Serve in small paper cups, which you should be able to find in better cooking stores or party favors shops in the US.
- An alternative filling I like very much is coconut kisses.
- Prepare the recipe, but instead of making the little balls use it to fill the prunes.
- In Brazil, everyone knows you're not supposed to eat the clove, but you might want to tell your guests that they're in the sweets as a decoration only!