Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Copycat recipe from recipe goldmine
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups flour
- Scald milk.
- Place scalded milk in a large bowl with honey, margarine, salt.
- Stir until margarine is melted.
- Let cool.
- In a small bowl, combine: sugar, dry yeast and warm water. The yeast should bubble.
- Add 1-1/2 cup flour to milk mixture, add eggs, and mix well.
- Add yeast mixture and 2-1/2 cups flour.
- Mix until dough is sticky (don't add more flour!).
- Knead on a floured board.
- Place dough in a bowl (oil the top) and cover.
- Let rise until double in size.
- Punch down dough and cut into 16 pieces. Form ball with each of the 16 pieces.
- Roll to 1/8-inch thickness, 8-10-inches round.
- In a large skillet (heated) cook for 15 seconds, flip and cook the other side.
The recipe tasted very good, and very much like the restaurant olgas! The trick is to make them thin, cook for a very short period (keeping them flexible), and be sure you cover them between two dishes as you make one after another. Yes, the dough is sticky but don't add more flour! Oil on your hands will do the trick. I hope this helps!
I don't know what the rest of you did differently but I followed the recipe word for word and I could not even handle the dough. It was so sticky I couldn't get it off my hands or the cutting board. I added flour enough to be able to work with it but in the end it didn't taste even close to Olga's. So if some one can help I'm all ears