Recipe by lglowicki
Clipped this many years ago from the Detroit Free Press. Similar to the bread used in Olga's Kitchen restaurants.
Top Review by Kerena
Olga's Kitchen was one of my favorite places to go and I was sad when they closed down. With this recipe I am able to make my own 3 Cheese Olga! I just top it with Cheddar, Swiss, Monterey Jack, raw onions and I am set to go! Thank you so much!!
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 ounce active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups flour, divided
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Scald milk and remove to large bowl.
- Add honey, butter and salt to milk and cool to lukewarm.
- In small bowl, combine yeast, warm water and sugar; stir till sugar is dissolved and set aside till milk is cool.
- Add 1 1/2 cups flour to the milk mixture and beat well. Beat in egg and yeast mixture till thoroughly combined. Add remaining 2 1/2 cups flour until a sticky dough is formed.
- Turn out on a floured surface and knead about two minutes. The dough still will be sticky. Place in an oiled bowl, turning once to oil entire surface. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down dough and remove to working surface; divide into 16 equal pieces. Let rest.
- Roll each piece into a rough circle about 8-10 inches in diameter.
- Heat a large dry skillet over medium-high heat. Bake each circle 15 seconds, flip and bake about 10 seconds on other side, until brown spots appear. Do not overcook.
- Use at once or freeze.