1/2 Photos of Ole! Mexican Noodle Bake
The Spice Guru's Note:
My grandmother's original Mexican-inspired casserole is a family favorite.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
SEASONED GROUND BEEF
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (or my Taco Bell Taco Seasoning Mix (Copycat))
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies (Ro-Tel)
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced black olives, reserving 12 slices
- 1 (12 ounce) package extra-wide egg noodles
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (16 ounce) container small curd cottage cheese
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chives or 1 tablespoon snipped green onion top
MEXICAN BLEND CHEESE
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided
- 1SET oven rack in center position; PREHEAT oven to 350°F ; SPRAY a 13 x 9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside; GET all ingredients needed for recipe and place in work station; OPEN ingredient containers and have ready for when needed; BRING 3 quarts salted water to a boil.
- 2BROWN 1 lb. lean ground beef in a skillet over medium heat.
- 3COOK one 12 ounce package extra-wide egg noodles in rapidly boiling salted water until just slightly al dente; DRAIN noodles well without rinsing; RETURN noodles into the same cooking pot without heat; GENTLY stir in the remaining CREAMY-CHEESY NOODLES ingredients (one 16 ounce container sour cream, one 16 ounce container small curd cottage cheese, one 7 ounce can diced green chilies, and 1 tablespoon chives or snipped green onion tops; MIX gently until thoroughly blended.
- 4DRAIN ground beef when browned; RETURN skillet over medium heat; DRAIN one (10 ounce) can Ro-Tel brand diced tomatoes and green chiles; STIR in Ro-Tel, one 6 ounce can sliced olives (reserve 12 slices for the GARNISH), and one (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (or prepare my Taco Bell Taco Seasoning Mix (Copycat) as instructed); SIMMER for 10 minutes or until most liquid is absorbed; REMOVE from heat.
- 5ADD 1/3 of the CREAMY-CHEESY NOODLES mixture into the bottom of greased baking dish.
- 6SPREAD 1/3 of the SEASONED GROUND BEEF mixture evenly in baking dish over the CREAMY-CHEESY NOODLES.
- 7SPRINKLE 1/3 of the MEXICAN BLEND CHEESE evenly over the SEASONED GROUND BEEF mixture.
- 8REPEAT layers in the same order and portions until all ingredients are used, finishing with the remaining MEXICAN BLEND CHEESE.
- 9GARNISH casserole with chives or sliced green onion tops and remaining 12 black olive slices.
- 10BAKE uncovered for 25 minutes at 350 F; ALLOW casserole to cool and set for 5-7 minutes before cutting and serving; SERVE; SNAP your fingers and shout,"OLE!".
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ole! Mexican Noodle Bake
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 519.2
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.0 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 127.3 mg
- Sodium 1395.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 28.1 g