Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
My recipe for a Mexican-inspired tender-chunk chicken pie with a cornbread crust is a bit labor-intensive, but so worth it. This is kid-friendly as far as its heat -- for a spicier pie simply replace a portion of the green bell peppers with jalapeno or serrano peppers.
- 14.79 ml canola oil or 14.79 ml light olive oil
- 158.51 ml potato, peeled and diced to 1/2-inch
- 236.59 ml yellow onion, peeled and cut to 1/2-inch
- 158.51 ml green bell pepper, diced to 1/2-inch
- 118.29 ml black beans, drained and rinsed
- 118.29 ml frozen whole sweet kernel corn
- 59.14 ml green onion top, thinly snipped
- 29.58 ml minced cilantro leaves
- 2 fresh large garlic cloves, minced
- 44.37 ml all-purpose flour
- 473.18 ml green enchilada sauce
- 9.85 ml lime juice
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml ground coriander
- 2.46 ml dried Mexican oregano
- salt & freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 2 (680.38 g) can chicken breasts, drained
- 158.51 ml colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 240.97 g package Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 large egg
- 78.07 ml water
- 19.71 ml lime juice
- 0.59 ml table salt
- 78.07 ml shredded colby-monterey jack cheese
- 2.0-3.0 ml Tabasco jalapeno sauce
- sliced black olives (or jalapenos, or snipped green onion tops, or all)
- PREHEAT oven to 375°F; SPRAY a 2 quart deep baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, then set aside; CUT potato, onion, bell pepper and garlic to specifications; THAW 1/2 cup frozen corn; KNEAD and juice enough limes to yield a total of 2 tablespoons juice if using fresh (bottled lime juice is okay); SHRED 1 cup Colby-Jack cheese; DRAIN two 12-ounce cans chunk chicken breasts.
- HEAT 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick 2 quart skillet over medium heat; ADD the potatoes and cook, scraping and stirring often, until softened; ADD the yellow onion and bell pepper; COOK until softened; STIR in the black beans, corn, green onions, cilantro and garlic; COOK for 1 minute longer.
- SPRINKLE 3 tablespoons flour over mixture; TOSS mixture well until all flour has absorbed; STIR in 2 cups enchilada sauce, 2 teaspoons lime juice, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon coriander, and 1/2 teaspoon oregano.
- BRING to a gentle boil; REDUCE the heat and simmer until fully thickened, about 5 minutes; SEASON to taste with salt (if needed) and freshly cracked black pepper; REMOVE from heat; FOLD in the drained chicken chunks and 2/3 cup of the cheese (don't over-stir!).
- POUR meat mixture levelly into prepared baking dish; PLACE baking dish onto a baking sheet.
- INTO a medium bowl, add the cornbread mix, 1 egg, 1/3 cup water, 4 teaspoons lime juice, and 1/8 teaspoon table salt; STIR just until blended; SPREAD batter carefully and evenly over the meat mixture; TOP with the remaining cheese.
- BAKE dish on baking sheet for 15 minutes (keep oven ON); REMOVE tray with pie; SPLASH with 8-12 dashes hot sauce; DECORATE with sliced black olives or snipped green onion tops (or both, or whatever you find festive!).
- BAKE for 10 additional minutes; ALLOW to set and cool 10 minutes before cutting.
- SERVE with desired garnishes and condiments (I like sour cream and salsa).
- SNAP your fingers and shout,"OLE!".