Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
My recipe for a savory chili con carne can be made in lickety-split time, or slow-simmered.
Make and share this Ole! Chili Con Carne recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (or 4 seeded large jalapenos)
- 4 peeled fresh garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bay leaf (removed)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef (or 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey)
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans or 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (or Ro*Tel Chunky, Mild or Hot)
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- NOTE: CORNFLOUR CAN BE MADE BY GRINDING CORNMEAL IN A CLEAN SPICE MILL OR COFFEE GRINDER. IF YOU PREFER A SPICIER CHILI, ADD CAYENNE PEPPER TO TASTE. (STEP ONE): DIVIDE the onion and bell pepper into eight sections; REMOVE ribs and seeds from peppers; PLACE onion, pepper, and garlic in a food processor; PULSE vegetables until coarsely chopped.
- HEAT one tablespoon bacon fat or olive oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven and add the bay leaf, and chopped vegetables; SAUTE until just softened.
- ADD 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef and cook, breaking coarsely with a spatula as it browns.
- SPRINKLE 2 tablespoons masa corn flour over saute mixture; COOK for 2 minutes, stirring.
- ADD the group TWO seasonings and stir (at this point you can transfer mixture to a crock pot if using the slow-simmer method, using the LOW heat setting, then stirring in the remaining ingredients and cover, simmering for at least 4 hours); PROCEED to the following step for the stovetop method.
- STIR in the group THREE ingredients; BRING to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly; REDUCE heat to a rapid simmer, stirring often until chili thickens to desired consistency (adding water if desired to thin consistency), about 30 minutes. (NOTE: If you're not in such a hurry and using the stovetop slow-simmer method, you can reduce heat to low and simmer for a few hours, refreshing consistency with water if needed).
- REMOVE bay leaf.
- LADLE into serving bowls and garnish with desired toppings.
- SNAP your fingers and shout,"OLE!".