1/3 Photos of Ole! Chile Relleno Wraps
The Spice Guru's Note:
My recipe for chimichanga-style chile relleno wraps.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 flour tortilla (Mission brand 8-inch)
- 1 green peppers (or 1 canned whole roasted Ortega chile) or 1 red pepper, fire-roasted and peeled (or 1 canned whole roasted Ortega chile)
- 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese or 1 cup mild cheddar cheese
- vegetable oil (for frying, peanut oil is especially good)
- butter or margarine or cooking spray, for baking
- enchilada sauce or taco sauce
- 1Grate enough cheese needed; about 1 cup for each Chilechanga.
- 2Pour between 1/4 and 1/2 inch oil in a skillet. Begin heating slowly over low heat.
- 3Place a stack of tortillas on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and microwave for up to 30 seconds.
- 4Microwave the chiles before using so they are warm, but not hot to the touch.
- 5Remove one tortilla at a time to assemble. Evenly pile approximately 1/3 of the cheese lengthwise along the center of tortilla.
- 6Stuff the pepper with 1/3 of the cheese, then place over the cheese on the tortilla.
- 7Cover pepper with the remaining cheese and roll carefully and tightly, burrito style.
- 8Raise the heat to medium and begin frying when oil temperature is reached (each should be browned slowly so the filling is thoroughly heated to melt the cheese without scorching the tortilla. Up to 4 may be fried at one time).
- 9Turn each to brown evenly, to a nice golden brown color.
- 10Drain on paper towels when done and allow to cool slightly before serving.
- 11TO BAKE: Brush each Chilechanga with oil or melted margarine or butter, or spray with non-stick cooking spray; bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden.
- 12SERVE with warmed enchilada sauce or taco sauce; SNAP your fingers and shout,"OLE!".
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ole! Chile Relleno Wraps
Serving Size: 1 (262 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 538.8
- Calories from Fat 330
- Total Fat 36.7 g
- Saturated Fat 22.1 g
- Cholesterol 100.5 mg
- Sodium 800.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 31.1 g