My recipe for chimichanga-style chile relleno wraps.
Make and share this Ole! Chile Relleno Wraps recipe from Food.com.
- 1 flour tortilla (Mission brand 8-inch)
- 1 green peppers (or 1 canned whole roasted Ortega chile) or 1 red pepper, fire-roasted and peeled (or 1 canned whole roasted Ortega chile)
- 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese or 1 cup mild cheddar cheese
- vegetable oil (for frying, peanut oil is especially good)
- butter or margarine or cooking spray, for baking
- enchilada sauce or taco sauce
- Grate enough cheese needed; about 1 cup for each Chilechanga.
- Pour between 1/4 and 1/2 inch oil in a skillet. Begin heating slowly over low heat.
- Place a stack of tortillas on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and microwave for up to 30 seconds.
- Microwave the chiles before using so they are warm, but not hot to the touch.
- Remove one tortilla at a time to assemble. Evenly pile approximately 1/3 of the cheese lengthwise along the center of tortilla.
- Stuff the pepper with 1/3 of the cheese, then place over the cheese on the tortilla.
- Cover pepper with the remaining cheese and roll carefully and tightly, burrito style.
- Raise the heat to medium and begin frying when oil temperature is reached (each should be browned slowly so the filling is thoroughly heated to melt the cheese without scorching the tortilla. Up to 4 may be fried at one time).
- Turn each to brown evenly, to a nice golden brown color.
- Drain on paper towels when done and allow to cool slightly before serving.
- TO BAKE: Brush each Chilechanga with oil or melted margarine or butter, or spray with non-stick cooking spray; bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden.
- SERVE with warmed enchilada sauce or taco sauce; SNAP your fingers and shout,"OLE!".