1/2 Photos of Ole! Chile Relleno Sauce
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup corn oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups fresh ripe roma tomatoes, pureed
- 1 seeded fresh jalapeno pepper, pureed
- 5 cups water (not broth!)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Mexican oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1 small bay leaf
OPTIONAL (USE SMALL PINCHES)
- 1HEAT 1/3 cup corn oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat; CHOP 1 medium onion together with 4 cloves of garlic in a food processor; SAUTE the onion and garlic mixture in the corn oil until translucent and golden, and almost caramelized.
- 2ADD 1/3 cup flour to the saute mixture; STIR the mixture as it cooks, until it is deep golden in color (mixture will be paste-like).
- 3PLACE into the large bowl of a food processor enough fresh ripe Roma tomatoes to yield approximately 1 1/2 cups pureed, and one stem-removed seeded fresh jalapeno pepper; PROCESS both until pulverized.
- 4TRANSFER the sauteed onion and garlic roux from the saucepan into the bowl of the food processor with the tomatoes and jalapeno, submerging the into the pulverized mixture first.
- 5PROCESS until all ingredients until finely pureed.
- 6POUR pureed mixture into the same medium saucepan.
- 7STIR in 5 cups water, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed Mexican oregano (crush between fingers) 1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper, and 1 small bay leaf.
- 8BRING mixture to boiling while whisking; REDUCE heat to medium and cook for about 45 minutes, whisking occasionally, or until desired consistency is reached; COVER slightly vented so steam can escape; KEEP sauce warm over lowest heat, whisking occasionally until served, or reheat and stir before serving.
- 9POUR a small pool of warmed sauce onto chile relleno serving plate; PLACE chile relleno over sauce; TOP chile relleno with additional sauce; GARNISH as desired; SERVE.
- 10SNAP your fingers and shout,"OLE!".
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ole! Chile Relleno Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (287 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.3
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1177.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 2.2 g