Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
My chile relleno sauce recipe for Ole! Authentic Chiles Rellenos. Photo credit: Photo 2 was taken by Chef #61569, Rinshinomori.
- 1⁄3 cup corn oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh ripe roma tomatoes, pureed
- 1 seeded fresh jalapeno pepper, pureed
- 5 cups water (not broth!)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Mexican oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1 small bay leaf
OPTIONAL (USE SMALL PINCHES)
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- HEAT 1/3 cup corn oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat; CHOP 1 medium onion together with 4 cloves of garlic in a food processor; SAUTE the onion and garlic mixture in the corn oil until translucent and golden, and almost caramelized.
- ADD 1/3 cup flour to the saute mixture; STIR the mixture as it cooks, until it is deep golden in color (mixture will be paste-like).
- PLACE into the large bowl of a food processor enough fresh ripe Roma tomatoes to yield approximately 1 1/2 cups pureed, and one stem-removed seeded fresh jalapeno pepper; PROCESS both until pulverized.
- TRANSFER the sauteed onion and garlic roux from the saucepan into the bowl of the food processor with the tomatoes and jalapeno, submerging the into the pulverized mixture first.
- PROCESS until all ingredients until finely pureed.
- POUR pureed mixture into the same medium saucepan.
- STIR in 5 cups water, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed Mexican oregano (crush between fingers) 1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper, and 1 small bay leaf.
- BRING mixture to boiling while whisking; REDUCE heat to medium and cook for about 45 minutes, whisking occasionally, or until desired consistency is reached; COVER slightly vented so steam can escape; KEEP sauce warm over lowest heat, whisking occasionally until served, or reheat and stir before serving.
- POUR a small pool of warmed sauce onto chile relleno serving plate; PLACE chile relleno over sauce; TOP chile relleno with additional sauce; GARNISH as desired; SERVE.
- SNAP your fingers and shout,"OLE!".
This recipes spells everything out, it's easy to follow and when I served it everyone thought I was a magician. It made the presentation of the World's Greatest Chile Relleno beautiful and the flavors were wonderful. If you haven't ever tried making your own sauce this is the sauce to start with. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe.
I loved this sauce. It's perfect for rellenos, but would also be delicious on huevos rancheros. I made impromptu, simple stacked enchiladas by layering cheese and this sauce on corn tortillas and heating in the microwave. Delicious. It's kind of addictive. It would also be a good baking sauce for chicken. I'm glad I found this after looking at other recipes that sounded too plain and bland. Love it!