1/6 Photos of Ole! Authentic Chiles Rellenos
The Spice Guru's Note:
My recipe for chile rellenos.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup corn oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups fresh ripe roma tomatoes, pureed
- 1 seeded fresh jalapeno pepper, pureed
- 5 cups water (not broth!)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Mexican oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1 large bay laurel leaf
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon (optional ingredient)
- 1 pinch ground cloves (optional ingredient)
- 6 large fresh anaheim chilies or 6 large anaheim canned chilies or 6 fresh pasilla chiles or 6 fresh poblano chiles
- 6 separated eggs
- 1/2 cup flour (plus one tablespoon for egg yolk mixture)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups canola oil, for frying
- 1PREPARE the SAUCE: HEAT 1/3 cup corn oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat; CHOP 1 medium onion together with 4 cloves of garlic in a food processor; SAUTE the onion and garlic mixture in corn oil until translucent and golden, and almost caramelized. ADD 1/3 cup flour to the saute mixture, until flour is lightly browned (the color of brown mustard); SPREAD the mixture evenly as it cooks. PLACE into the large bowl of a food processor enough fresh ripe Roma tomatoes to yield approximately 1 1/2 cups pureed, and one stem-removed seeded fresh jalapeno pepper; PROCESS both until pureed. SCRAPE the sauteed onion and garlic mixture from saucepan using a flexible spatula into the bowl of the food processor with the tomatoes and jalapeno, submerging the onion and garlic roux into the puree. PROCESS mixture until all ingredients until finely pureed. POUR pureed mixture into the same medium saucepan. STIR into the sauce mixture 5 cups water, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed Mexican oregano (crush between fingers) 1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper, and 1 large bay laurel leaf (and 1 pinch ground cinnamon and 1 pinch ground cloves if desired). BRING mixture to boiling while whisking; REDUCE heat to medium and cook for about 45 minutes, or until desired consistency is reached, whisking occasionally. COVER slightly vented so steam can escape; KEEP sauce warm over lowest heat, whisking as needed to refresh consistency until served, or reheat and stir before serving.
- 2ROAST fresh peppers if not using canned; KEEP stems intact; PLACE under broiler and broil on each side until evenly blistered slightly blackened; IMMEDIATELY place peppers into a large plastic ziplock bag and allow to steam for a few minutes; REMOVE skins from each pepper (they should slide off easily now); CUT a slit lengthwise down the middle or side of each (just big enough to slide in a stick of cheese or a mound of shredded cheese); CUP each pepper with one hand and pour gently running water into slit to flush out seeds.
- 3SOAK fresh or canned chiles in brine for a few minutes; CUT cheese into 6 long thin sticks (OR) shred cheese then thinly mound and mold 6 portions; REMOVE chiles from brine and blot with paper towels.
- 4STUFF each chile with one cheese portion then slip into pepper slit (if a chile tears don't worry, flour and egg batter will seal it well enough).
- 5POUR oil into an electric wok or an electric skillet (or enough oil into deep fryer); SET heat control to 265°F.
- 6MEASURE flour into a sifter or fine mesh collander; DUST each of the chiles well with flour on all sides and set aside (for torn chiles, apply extra flour at the seam then overlap slightly).
- 7BEAT egg whites in a medium bowl with one pinch salt, using an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; BEAT egg yolks in another bowl with one tablespoon flour and 3/4 teaspoon salt; ADD yolk mixture all at once to egg whites; FOLD together lightly but thoroughly while keeping the egg mixture fluffy.
- 8COAT one chile evenly with egg mixture, using rubber spatula if necessary to "frost" chile; HOLD chile by the stem; PLACE place carefully onto the hot oil; REPEAT with the remaining chiles, frying no more than 2 or 3 at a time.
- 9FRY until golden on all sides, turning once with spatula until done, about 5 minutes total; DRAIN between paper towels (if necessary, rellenos may be individually reheated in a microwave (100% power) for 15-20 seconds).
- 10SERVE over a pool of warm SAUCE, or top with your favorite pico de gallo or salsa and a dollop of sour cream, and cilantro sprig to garnish; SNAP your fingers and shout,"OLE"!
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ole! Authentic Chiles Rellenos
Serving Size: 1 (4070 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1043.4
- Calories from Fat 894
- Total Fat 99.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 215.8 mg
- Sodium 2882.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 17.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: