Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a recipe adapted from historical text. It should be made using freshly ground spices if possible. Cast iron implements can be used for an extra bit of the old time feel.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and add milk.
- In large mixing bowl. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, spices, and salt.
- Pour egg/milk mixture into center of dry ingredients. Stir quickly.
- Heat oil or fat in a deep skillet or deep fat fryer. If you have an electric griddle, set temperature to 375°F
- Test heat by dropping a pinch of batter into fat. If it immediately rises to the surface, then it is ready to fry with.
- Drop batter into fat with a tablespoon.
- Brown for 5 minutes on one side, then flip.
- Drain over paper towels.
- Serve hot with maple syrup and butter.