Chef #587286's Note:
This simple and delicious potato salad recipe has been in the family for generations. My mom received it from her mother-in-law, who received it from her mother-in-law, who came from the ethnically German region of Czechoslovakia.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil the potatoes until tender, then peel and slice into 1/4 inch rounds. Place the sliced potatoes into large bowl.
- 2Slice the onion into approximately 1/4 inch half-slices. Place these on top of the potatoes.
- 3*Omit bacon for kosher or vegetarian preparation. Soy mayonnaise can be substituted for vegan preparation.
- 4Cook the bacon until crispy, then chop finely, and place on top of potatoes and onions.
- 5Add the oil and vinegar together in a small saucepan, then bring to a boil. You can use more if you like your potato salad tangier (as I do), but always use equal amounts of oil and vinegar. When the mixture reaches a boil, remove from the heat and pour over the potato/onion/bacon mixture.
- 6Toss the whole mixture lightly. It's best to do the previous steps the night before serving the salad to allow the potatoes to marinate. If you can't manage overnight, allow at least a couple of hours for best flavor.
- 7Toss with mayonnaise until coated to taste just before serving.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old World Potato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 294.3
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 6.1 mg
- Sodium 180.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 3.8 g