Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a great old world Family recipe. Its also great with italian sausage,or meatballs. Just stir often while cooking when using meats.
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- In a large stockpot on low-med heat add your olive oil and saute your onions for about 4 minutes,then add your crushed garlic,cook for 2 minutes longer. Then add your water,and tomato products. Be sure to mix everything very well.Add in your spices,and cheese. cook for 2 1/2 hours covered.Then add in your wine, and cook 30 minutes longer. Sauce will be thin on first day.Also if you use meat it will alter thickness.The second day this turns into a nice thick sauce.
The aroma that filled our kitchen today was tantalizing! This robust sauce certainly was worth the wait. This is different than any other sauces that we've tried...for us it was very "fruity" in flavor. I'm not sure if it was the combination of herbs or the brand of tomatoes - all in all it was extremely delicious and very hearty. Ours was not at any point thin and coated the pasta perfectly. Your "old world" description is appropriate but we would even venture to call it "out of this world". Thanks FarahC!
Best spaghetti sauce ever!
Excellent recipe! I made without water and with canned chopped tomatoes that I pureed in the blender. The texture was perfect!