Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe is enough for 15 servings, but can be easily frozen in containers if desired, this sauce tastes even better if made the day before, make certain you have a large pot for this.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste, adjust to heat level)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 lbs fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 (28 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, brown beef and pork with crushed red chili flakes over medium heat until no longer pink; set aside.
- In another large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and saute the onions and garlic until tender; add in about 1/2 cup red wine, mix well.
- Add in the sliced mushrooms, rosemary and oregano to skillet, and add another 1/2 cup wine; saute until tender.
- Add in the browned beef, tomato sauce and tomato paste; simmer for 1 hour; then add in remaining 1 cup wine, simmer on low for another 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Towards the end of cooking, add in the Parmesan cheese, mix to combine and heat through.