1 hr 10 mins
Member #610488's Note:
Recipe from the mystery "Sweet Revenge" by Andrea Penrose. The book is a mouthwatering combination of suspense and chocolate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup stout beer (pour stout slowly into measuring cup, do not measure foam)
- 1/2 cup soft pitted prunes, chopped
- 3 1/2 fine quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped (use only bittersweet)
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1Move oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly brush 6 cup Bundt pan or 8"x3" ovenproof ring mold with half the melted butter and chill 2 minutes. Butter again with remaining melted butter then chill until pan is needed.
- 2Bring stout to a boil in a small saucepan and add prunes. Remove from heat and let stand until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- 3Meanwhile, sift together flour, baking soda and salt into a bowl. Set aside. Melt the chocolate and 1/2 cup unsalted butter together in a small heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 4Beat together eggs, brown sugar and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until thick, about 2 minutes. Add chocolate mixture and beat until just combined.
- 5Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Stir in prune mixture until combined well. Spoon batter into pan and bake until a wooden toothpick inserted into middle of cake comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes.
- 6Cool cake in mold on a rack 10 minutes, then invert onto rack to cool completely, at least 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old World Guinness Cake
Serving Size: 1 (748 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2640.4
- Calories from Fat 1135
- Total Fat 126.1 g
- Saturated Fat 76.2 g
- Cholesterol 677.0 mg
- Sodium 1123.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 341.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 215.3 g
- Protein 30.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: