1 hr 10 mins
Member #610488's Note:
Recipe from the mystery "Sweet Revenge" by Andrea Penrose. The book is a mouthwatering combination of suspense and chocolate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup stout beer (pour stout slowly into measuring cup, do not measure foam)
- 1/2 cup soft pitted prunes, chopped
- 3 1/2 fine quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped (use only bittersweet)
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1Move oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly brush 6 cup Bundt pan or 8"x3" ovenproof ring mold with half the melted butter and chill 2 minutes. Butter again with remaining melted butter then chill until pan is needed.
- 2Bring stout to a boil in a small saucepan and add prunes. Remove from heat and let stand until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- 3Meanwhile, sift together flour, baking soda and salt into a bowl. Set aside. Melt the chocolate and 1/2 cup unsalted butter together in a small heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 4Beat together eggs, brown sugar and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until thick, about 2 minutes. Add chocolate mixture and beat until just combined.
- 5Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Stir in prune mixture until combined well. Spoon batter into pan and bake until a wooden toothpick inserted into middle of cake comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes.
- 6Cool cake in mold on a rack 10 minutes, then invert onto rack to cool completely, at least 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old World Guinness Cake
Serving Size: 1 (748 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2640.4
- Calories from Fat 1135
- Total Fat 126.1 g
- Saturated Fat 76.2 g
- Cholesterol 677.0 mg
- Sodium 1123.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 341.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 215.3 g
- Protein 30.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: