Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe comes from an old New York restaurant, Luchow's. I had this identical recipe in a restaurant specilizing in Hungarian cuisine! This recipe only calls for moderate amounts of sour cream. Serve with couscous to sop up the delicious sauce.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 3 chicken drumsticks
- 3 chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter (not margarine)
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup regular sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill (no stems) or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried dill (do not omit)
- Wash the chicken parts, pat dry, and sprinkle with salt. Let rest for half an hour.
- Melt butter in heavy kettle or Dutch oven and stir in diced onion. Cook over low heat until onion is transparent but not browned. Stir in paprika and toast over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces, skin side down, in one layer and cook over medium heat until chicken is golden brown. Turn chicken and brown other side. Remove browned chicken and brown any remaining pieces.
- Add all chicken to kettle or Dutch oven, cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes. (Chicken will not be quite done at this point.).
- Pour heavy cream over chicken, sprinkle on flour, and stir. Add chicken broth, bring to a boil, and simmer chicken, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in sour cream. Return to heat and simmer gently for 1-2 minutes until sour cream is combined but not curdled.