Recipe by Leahferne
Hearty and delicious, a perfect comfort food for a rainy day or cold night. This recipe will fill your home with the aroma of great cooking. Great served with a favorite, rustic artisan bread. NOTE: Prepare as a crock-pot meal. Cook everything up that needs to be cooked, add the raw ingredients and liquid. Slow cook for 8-10 hours for an old world dinner after a long day's work. NOTE 2: With produce that absorb a lot of water such as celery onions and lettuce it is unfortunate to know that these vegetables pull lots of contaminants and pesticides from the soil and water that is given to them. For best quality (health wise) and taste please use organically grown produce.
- 2 lbs stew meat
- 5 slices smoked bacon, peppered and thick cut
- 3 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb baby red potato, washed
- 2 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, washed and quartered
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, peeled and chopped
- 1 (4 cup) box beef broth (I like Pacific Organic brand)
- 2 (1 1/2 ounce) beef stew seasoning (I use McCormick brand)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- * In a large pot fry the bacon till it becomes crispy and remove bacon from the pot to cool. Once bacon is cool crumble or chop into small pieces to use later.
- * Place the stew meat in the bacon grease to sear in the juices. The quicker your meat is browned on all sides the more tender your meat will become. Don't worry if the meat is still raw in the center -- it should be.
- * While the meat is searing, saute the onion and celery in a frying pan with 1 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of olive oil. Once the onion has become clear and/or browned on the edges add the garlic. Continue to saute stirring frequently until all the ingredients have caramelized. By doing this you release the sweetness from the ingredients adding a scrumptious flavor to your stew.
- * After the meat has been seared, cool it down by adding the entire contents of the boxed beef broth. Add your parsnips, potatoes, carrots and caramelized onions, celery and garlic.
- * Add enough water to just cover all the ingredients. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- * As the stew is simmering, saute the mushrooms in 1 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of olive oil. The key for perfect sauted mushrooms is room to cook. Once your mushrooms are sauted add them to the stew along with the bacon. Continue to simmer.
- * Once you have all the ingredients in the pot add the dry packets. Stir till well blended and no dry clumps are visible. Add salt and pepper to taste and continue to simmer to complete the hour.
- * Cool for 15 minutes, ladle into bowls or large plates. Garnish top with parsley and serve with your favorite bread and red wine.