Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
These make a crisp cookie--great for decorating. What I like is they do not spread much while baking.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 5 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda, dissolved in
- 1⁄4 cup water
- In a large bowl, beat together with a wooden spoon the butter, brown sugar and spices.
- Add the molasses and the egg; beat well.
- Stir in 1/2 the flour and all the soda-water mixture, mixing until well blended.
- Mix in the remaining flour.
- Divide the dough in half and wrap well.
- Refrigerate the dough for several hours or even overnight.
- Work with 1/2 of the dough at a time.
- Roll the dough on a well-floured surface until it is 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut into desired shapes.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven--350° for 8-10 minutes. Do not overbake.
- Let them rest on the baking sheet to firm up before putting them on a wire rack to cool.
High rating for how the dough handled and the firmness of the cookie. Definitely good for decorating. I used blackstrap molasses and ran out at 3/4 cup so I put in 1/4 cup brown caro syrup. It was still VERY molassesy. Too me it tasted more like a spiced molasses cookie and not enough ginger flavor. I may substitute some of the allspice for more ginger next time. And maybe try a milder molasses.
This cookie is yummy. I made them so I could do a class in the "cookie painting" area. I put the baked cookies in the freezer and one day my son dropped in and (gingerbread men being his favorite cookie), I took one out of the freezer and he and I split one large cookie. He loved them and so did I. I told him they were not my regular Gingerbread Man cookies and he said, "pretty close". He had milk and I had tea. All I can say is they are delicious, Rose of Sharon, and you did such a good job decorating them. Your cookie is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to decorate mine.
That is the cutest cookie! What a great job you did decorating your gingerbread!