Prep 2 hrs
Cook 40 mins
A nice blend of the whole wheat and white flour makes a nice soft bread.
Make and share this Old-Time Whole Wheat Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Mix 3 1/2 cup flour and yeast.
- Heat water, brown sugar, shortening, and salt until warm (115-120 degrees) stirring to melt shortening.
- Add to dry mix in bowl.
- Beat 1/2 minute on low; 3 minutes on high.
- Stir in whole wheat flour and enough other flour to make moderately stiff dough.
- Knead until smooth and elastic (10-12 minutes) Place in large greased bowl, turn.
- Cover, let rise until double (1 hour).
- Punch down, divide in 1/2, cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape into loaves and place in 2 greased 9x5 loaf pans.
- Cover, let rise until double (45 minutes).
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes.