2 hrs 40 mins
Hoosier Margie's Note:
A nice blend of the whole wheat and white flour makes a nice soft bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix 3 1/2 cup flour and yeast.
- 2Heat water, brown sugar, shortening, and salt until warm (115-120 degrees) stirring to melt shortening.
- 3Add to dry mix in bowl.
- 4Beat 1/2 minute on low; 3 minutes on high.
- 5Stir in whole wheat flour and enough other flour to make moderately stiff dough.
- 6Knead until smooth and elastic (10-12 minutes) Place in large greased bowl, turn.
- 7Cover, let rise until double (1 hour).
- 8Punch down, divide in 1/2, cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- 9Shape into loaves and place in 2 greased 9x5 loaf pans.
- 10Cover, let rise until double (45 minutes).
- 11Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-Time Whole Wheat Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1830 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2202.3
- Calories from Fat 291
- Total Fat 32.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3535.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 425.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 31.9 g
- Sugars 54.5 g
- Protein 59.6 g