Recipe by NELady
From Mr. Food Cooks Like Mama, c. 1992. Easy sauce to spice up hot dogs!
Top Review by ElaineAnn
I made this so I would have a tasty topping for baked potatoes. I used ground turkey to cut down fat, and seasoned with chili powder, cumin and a dash of smoked paprika. YUM! I had a little leftover and popped it in the freezer for my next craving for a good ol' chili dog. Thanks for posting NELady. Made for Choose Your Event Party.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, saute ground beef and onion over medium heat, stirring often, until beef is browned. Add tomato sauce, chili powder, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring mixture to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- NOTE: For a real taste treat, place cooked hot dogs on rolls and top with sauce; you should have enough for about 10. Add your favorite regular toppings, too. To make the sauce taste as if it came from a New York pushcart, add a little cinnamon. Oregano will give it a Greek or Italian flavor and a teaspoon of ground cumin will make it an authentic chili dog.