1/5 Photos of Old Time Chicken and Biscuits
Homey and old-fashioned, this comforting dish can be on the table in a flash, thanks to store-bought rotisserie chicken and biscuits made with self-rising flour. This is a modernized version of the recipe that was home cookin' to my Texas family.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 3/8 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup whole milk
- all-purpose flour, for dusting
For Chicken In Gravy
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (14 fl oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken (from a 3- to 3 1/2-lb rotisserie chicken)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1Make Biscuits:.
- 2Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F.
- 3Blend together flour and butter in a bowl with a pastry blender or your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal with some small (roughly pea-size) butter lumps. Stir in milk with a fork just until a sticky dough forms.
- 4Turn dough out onto a floured surface and gently knead 7 or 8 times, (Do not overwork, or biscuits will be tough).
- 5Pat dough into a 9- by 6-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface, then cut into 6 (3-inch) squares.
- 6Arrange squares 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes.
- 7Cool to warm on baking sheet on a rack.
- 8Make Chicken In Gravy While Biscuits Bake:.
- 9Cook onion, carrot, celery, salt, and pepper in butter in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- 10Stir in broth and thyme and bring to a boil, stirring, then boil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes.
- 11Add half-and-half and chicken to gravy and gently simmer until chicken is heated through, about 3 minutes.
- 12Stir in lemon juice.
- 13To Serve:.
- 14Halve biscuits and put each bottom half in a shallow bowl.
- 15Spoon chicken in gravy over biscuit bottoms and cover with biscuit tops.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Time Chicken and Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 504.1
- Calories from Fat 238
- Total Fat 26.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 109.8 mg
- Sodium 745.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 25.7 g