Homey and old-fashioned, this comforting dish can be on the table in a flash, thanks to store-bought rotisserie chicken and biscuits made with self-rising flour. This is a modernized version of the recipe that was home cookin' to my Texas family.
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 3⁄8 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup whole milk
- all-purpose flour, for dusting
For Chicken In Gravy
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (14 fl oz)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken (from a 3- to 3 1/2-lb rotisserie chicken)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Make Biscuits:.
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F.
- Blend together flour and butter in a bowl with a pastry blender or your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal with some small (roughly pea-size) butter lumps. Stir in milk with a fork just until a sticky dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and gently knead 7 or 8 times, (Do not overwork, or biscuits will be tough).
- Pat dough into a 9- by 6-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface, then cut into 6 (3-inch) squares.
- Arrange squares 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Cool to warm on baking sheet on a rack.
- Make Chicken In Gravy While Biscuits Bake:.
- Cook onion, carrot, celery, salt, and pepper in butter in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and thyme and bring to a boil, stirring, then boil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes.
- Add half-and-half and chicken to gravy and gently simmer until chicken is heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- To Serve:.
- Halve biscuits and put each bottom half in a shallow bowl.
- Spoon chicken in gravy over biscuit bottoms and cover with biscuit tops.