Recipe by SweetsLady
One of our favorite stews! Great on chilly nights! My notes are in parentheses. This makes a thick stew.
Top Review by WiGal
Very good stew! The allspice and paprika is wonderful in this! I did add my vegetables after 1 hour of meat simmering and then simmered for an additional 45 minutes. There was only about 1 1/4 cups of hot liquid so use only half of the cornstarch/water mixture. Thank you Sweets Lady for sharing. Made for PRMR.
- 2 lbs stewing beef
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 -2 bay leaf (I use 2)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 dash ground allspice or 1 dash clove
- 3 large carrots, sliced (I use baby carrots)
- 4 red potatoes, quartered
- 3 celery ribs, chopped (I omit this)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat in hot oil. Add water, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaves, onion, salt, sugar, pepper, paprika, and allspice. Cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove bay leaves. Add carrots, potatoes, and celery. Cover and cook 20-30 minutes longer or until vegetables are cooked.
- To thicken gravy, remove 2 cups hot liquid. Using seperate bowl, combine 1/4 cup water and cornstarch until smooth. Mix with hot liquid and return mixture to pot. Stir and cook until bubbly and thickened. Enjoy!