Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These are the beans my French-Canadian mother used to make. She never measured anything making these so I've estimated the amounts. These taste great with fresh bread. A good dish to keep in mind for pot-lucks. You can add pork or weiners to it if you like. Bacon strips on top work well.
- Soak beans overnight in water, then boil until tender (not mushy) Note: Soaking is not mandatory but it reduces boiling time.
- Drain water and put beans in a large heavy pot or crock.
- (5 liter Corningware works well) Add all ingredients together and mix.
- Add enough water to cover beans.
- Cover and bake at 325 degrees for about 6 hours.
- Check beans while they are baking to add water to ensure they do not go dry.