Recipe by pansies
This is a recipe I clipped from a Woman's Day magazine way back in 1980. I didn't try it for many years but when reviewing my files in search of low fat recipes for a family member I came across this one. Not a fancy cake but homey and good! I have also make this with fresh peaches with good results.
Top Review by BonnieZ
This recipe is exactly what the poster claims, nothing fancy, but a homey and good snack cake. I especially appreciated the fact that this recipe does not have any added oils or fat. Thank you Pansies for sharing the recipe.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 medium apples, peeled and diced
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons wheat germ, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- You should have about 2 cups diced apples. Mix apples and sugar together in a large bowl. Let stand for about 30 minutes to draw the juice.
- Stir in egg, flour, soda, cinnamon and 3 tbsp of the wheat germ until well blended.
- Turn into a greased 8 inch square baking pan. Sprinkle remaining wheat germ over the top.
- Bake at 375 F for 30 minutes or until pick inserted int the centre comes out clean.
- Cool on rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes 8 or 9 servings depending on how you cut them. Good as it is but vanilla yogurt makes a nice low fat topping if you must have a topping.