Recipe by Stew-It
This is an old style meat casserole, but made oh so much nicer. It is slow cooked for more than 6 hours for maximum taste.
Top Review by Delicious Bits
I've made this a few times now using cheap cuts of beef. I really enjoy the rich aromas and consistency of this dish. I've never had anyone complain about it when it's served up to them either - which is the most important! I used regular casserole vegetables like potatoes, pumpkin, sweet potato, celery and onion. I find I prefer it cooked at around 8-10 hours. I also only put half of the vegetables in at the beginning and then the other half at around 1.5 - 2 hours before finishing. This recipe is so simple since you only have to do minimal preparation and then throw it into the pot. Nice one! Thanks for posting! :)
- 600 g meat
- 500 ml red wine (cheap)
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 350 ml water (you can use extra wine and omit the water if you wish)
- 1 large onion, chopped up roughly
- 5 slices bacon, chopped up roughly
- 5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 5 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 5 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons coarse grain mustard
- 5 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons mixed herbs
- 2 teaspoons chili paste
- 5 bay leaves
- 20 ml oil (for frying)
- plain flour
- 500 g mixed vegetables (roughly cut)
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim off all fat and sinew from the meat, then chop into cubes or small strips.
- Powder the meat in plain flour so it is completely covered.
- Remove the rind of the bacon and chop.
- In a heavy bottom frying pan, fry the bacon, garlic and chilli in a little oil.
- Once the bacon is cooked, remove from the pan, but retain the oil.
- Cook the meat in small quantities until brown all over.
- Into a slower cooker, put in the red wine, water, wholegrain mustard, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, BBQ sauce, herbs, bay leaves. Stir until well combined. Add the meats and roughly chopped vegetables.
- Cooking times vary. At least 6 hours is needed to ensure the meat is tender and the potatoes are cooked through. I’ve cooked this for 24 hours and it’s come out perfect.