Recipe by Sharon123
A true taste of the Old South! Trying different jams with this makes it new each time! From Paula's Home Cooking.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup cake flour, sifted
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting,sifted
- 1 cup jam or 1 cup jelly, stirred well (raspberry and apricot work well)
- whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl beat egg whites until stiff but not dry and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks until light.
- Gradually add the sugar and vanilla, and mix well.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the sifted flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture.
- Fold in the egg whites into the egg mixture and pour batter into a 15 x 10 by 1-inch jelly roll pan lined with waxed paper.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the cake is golden.
- Loosen up edges of cake, invert cake onto a towel dusted with confectioners sugar.
- Carefully peel wax paper off cake.
- Trim 1/4-inch of hard crust off each long side of the jelly roll cake.
- Begin with the narrow side and roll the cake and towel up together.
- Cool cake on rack, seam side down, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once cake has cooled, gently unroll and spread cake with jam or jelly and re-roll.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar or cover with whipped cream.