Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
A true taste of the Old South! Trying different jams with this makes it new each time! From Paula's Home Cooking.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl beat egg whites until stiff but not dry and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks until light.
- Gradually add the sugar and vanilla, and mix well.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the sifted flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture.
- Fold in the egg whites into the egg mixture and pour batter into a 15 x 10 by 1-inch jelly roll pan lined with waxed paper.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the cake is golden.
- Loosen up edges of cake, invert cake onto a towel dusted with confectioners sugar.
- Carefully peel wax paper off cake.
- Trim 1/4-inch of hard crust off each long side of the jelly roll cake.
- Begin with the narrow side and roll the cake and towel up together.
- Cool cake on rack, seam side down, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once cake has cooled, gently unroll and spread cake with jam or jelly and re-roll.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar or cover with whipped cream.
Buddha never had a jelly roll cake before, so I made him this one, with blueberry jam (his favorite). Now I can't get him to share it! Great job Sharon123!
Fun cake! We spread raspberry preserves lengthwise on one half of the cake and pineapple preserves on the other. After rolling, we sprinkled with confectioners sugar and served with fresh whipped cream as suggested. It was great having two different tastes with one cake - just slice from the side you prefer (or take a sliver of each)! The kids enjoyed this one - thanks for posting :)