Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These are from the back of a jar of Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime, but they are delicious!!! My grandma used to make these every year and I make them now just so I can make her potato salad with them. It's just not the same any other way. The original recipe does not call for the green food coloring, but you just HAVE to have it, at least that's how it is in my house. The yeild and times are approximate. Hope you enjoy! :P
- Soak clean cucumbers in water and lime mixture in crockery or enamel ware for 2 hours or overnight. Do not use aluminum ware.
- Remove sliced cucumbers from lime water. Discard lime water. Rinse 3 times in fresh cold water. Soak 3 hours in ice water.
- combine vinegar, sugar, salt and mixed pickling spices in a large pot. Bring to a low boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove syrup from heat ad add sliced cucumbers. Soak 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Boil slices in the syrup 35 minutes. Fill sterilized jars with hot slices. Pour hot syrup over the slices, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Cap each jar when filled.
- Process pints 10 minutes, quarts 15 minutes in a boiling water bath canner.
- Test jars for airtight seals according to manufacturer's instructions. Refrigerate unsealed jars.