Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This was my great grandmother's favorite cake to make. The cake is really simple to make, and contains neither eggs nor milk. Despite the name, the cake is moist, not soggy. The name, "Old Sog," is a little bit controversial in our family. Some folks say this is a really inelegant name for a delicious cake. I call the cake "Old Sog" because I can still hear Grandma saying it. Besides, elegance was never a priority to her. If you make the cake with margarine, it's vegan!
- Put water and raisins into a saucepan, bring to a boil, and turn off the heat. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add butter or margarine to saucepan, and let the mixture sit until it reaches room temperature.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour into an 8" by 8" pan or an 8" cake pan.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes in a 350 degree oven (until a toothpick comes out clean).
- Serve warm or cool.