Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my grandmother's recipe for potato salad. To my knowledge this is how it was made back in the day in the rural mid-west. She always had some homemade potato salad on hand for us boys working on the farm in the summer months.
- 10 medium potatoes
- 5 eggs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups Miracle Whip
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 4 ounces sweet pickle relish
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- Hard boil the eggs in a pot half full of water.
- While the eggs are boiling peel and cube the potatoes into 1 inch chunks.
- When the eggs have boiled for 10 minutes set them in the sink or in a bowl of cold water to cool.
- Place fresh water in the pot and start the potatoes to boiling. The potatoes will need to cook about 25 to 30 minutes until soft when stuck with a fork.
- While the potatoes are cooking, the eggs can be peeled out of their shells and sliced and placed in a medium to large bowl.
- Drain the water off of the potatoes and place in the bowl as well.
- Add all other ingredients in the bowl as well and beat for about a minute with an electric mixer until the salad is thoroughly mixed and has a smooth texture.
- Taste the salad to your liking and see if anything needs added, my family likes a tarter salad so we always add a little more vinegar and relish than is listed. Then set in the fridge to chill for about an hour and enjoy.