Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
Cafe grants desperate wish is the newspaper headline just above this recipe posting in the Austin American-Statesman. The requestor of the recipe was begging for this recipe, saying the cake was undoubtedly the most sinfully delicious cake she had ever tasted. The Old Pecan Street Cafe is still open on 6th Street in Austin, Texas.
- Grease and flour 2 nine-inch round pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream margarine with white sugar.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Sift together flour and soda.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture with buttermilk.
- Add the walnuts, coconut, and vanilla.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold them into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the cake pans and bake for 45 minutes in a 350-degree oven.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- While cake is cooling, make the cream cheese icing.
- Cream butter with cream cheese.
- Add powdered sugar; mix well.
- Add vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Place one cake layer on a cake plate, and ice the top.
- Cover with the second cake layer.
- Ice the sides and top of the cake.
I previously had a recipe from the Austin American-Statesman newspaper, and it was similar yet not nearly as good as this one! I used lite butter in the frosting then, and it was too soft/runny. Real butter this time made the frosting with the appropriate spreading consistency.