Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Mexican food lovers -- this casserole is for you. With a laundry list of flavorful ingredients, this dish is filled with spice and everything nice. You'll go from saying ole to oh yeah!
- 1 lb ground pork breakfast sausage
- 4 scallions, diced, reserving 2/3 of the diced green tops
- 2 (7 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 6 slices sourdough bread
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded colby-monterey jack cheese
- 1 small roma tomato, seeded, diced into 1/4-inch dice
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Fry sausage until browned and almost cooked through. Add scallion bottoms along with 1/3 of the green tops and cook until meat is thoroughly cooked and turn off heat. Add chilies and mix well.
- Spray a 9X13 inch-baking dish with cooking spray. Place the bread slices into the dish to cover bottom and pour sausage mixture evenly over bread. Spread cheese evenly over sausage and sprinkle reserved diced green scallion tops and tomato over cheese.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs and add half-and-half and pour over casserole. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake casserole for 35 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil and continue to bake another 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Prep time does not include overnight resting period.
Had Ro-tel, so substituted it for chiles and Romas. Big hit! Thanks, Myra
This is awesome, especially when made with New Mexican Hatch chilies. It's a nice take on traditional food from back home in New Mexico and is a big hit the folks at work.