Recipe by "Pink Eyed" Jim Cortina
I was craving this restaurant's tomato basil soup today, but have only five bucks to my name. So I decided to try and make it with the ingredients that I had on hand. The result was very good.
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes
- 170.09 g can tomato paste with basil and garlic
- 340.19 g tomato juice (V-8 Juice works well too)
- 473.18 ml vegetable stock
- 73.94 ml sugar
- 59.16 ml butter
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 473.18 ml heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients, except for cream in a large soup pot.
- Simmer for 20 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Allow soup to cool a bit (until it's no longer hot to the touch), then whisk in the cream.
- Reheat slowly to serving temperature, and serve with chiffonaded fresh basil, if available.