Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
My mom's recipe. I've made it for years. Have tried a few others, but always come back to this one. The cooking time is for the potatoes.
- 6 large potatoes (cooked,peeled and diced)
- 5 hardboiled egg, dice 4 of them
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons sweet relish
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- In large bowl, mix potatoes and the 4 diced eggs.
- Add celery, onion,and relish.
- In small bowl mix mayo, sugar, vinegar, milk, celery seed and garlic salt.
- Slice remaining egg over potato salad and sprinkle with paprika.
Inez: this recipe reminds me of my mother's recipe for potato salad. We, too, are from kentucky. Mom was forced to quit school when only thirteen years old and she went to work washing dishes in a neighborhood restaurant called "the village kitchen", in catlettsburg, ky. Years later she came away with a great cooking education. As I remember it she never deviated from her ingredients for the dressing. She insisted on miracle whip salad dressing, carnation evaporated milk, and probably used more than twice the amount of sugar that you call for in your recipe. I have hardly budged from the computer since finding recipezaar. From one kentucky hillbilly to another, thank you for all your great recipes. My family is enjoying them to the hilt.
I can't believe this doesn't have 5 stars yet! Well, it does now! This salad is excellent. I didn't add the onion because my husband doesn't like it. I didn't have any relish, so I used chopped pickles. I used Miracle Whip for the dressing. The celery adds a nice crunch. This one's a winner!
Excellent!!!! Thank You. This is a keeper.